Sunday, December 03, 2006

Perfect

That is the only word to describe this weekend - perfect.

Last week, I received an invitation from a man to have dinner at his house with his family. He didn't speak any English and arranged for it through another teacher at my school. Friday evening; I went to this house - not really sure how or why I was really invited.

It's 5:00 and my doorbell rings. I open it - and there is the man and his 32 year old granddaughter greeting me with a konbanwa or a Good Evening. I lock the door behind me and get into their car. The woman - whose name is Yumie - speaks English. She spent one year in Hawaii going to a Rose farming school. She also had spent 6 months in Washington state. Their house is only 5 minutes away from my house. I enter their house and meet Yumie's parents and her grandmother. The most cool thing about their house is that it's 250 years old. The roof was amazing. I just can't fathom that I was having dinner in a house older than our country. I loooveee this country.

It turns out I was invited because I had said Ohayo Gozaimasu (good morning) to the man that invited me over. He was at my one Junior High School because he is a Kendo master. (Japanese Martial Art). Ojiisan (grandpa in Japanese) - was teaching the students in their Phys Ed class Kendo. He thought since I greeted him in Japanese that I spoke Japanese.

When I first arrived I spent much of my time chatting with ojiisan, Yumie and otoosan(dad). Her mother and grandmother were in the kitchen preparing dinner for us. Dinner was delicious - seriously like a 10 course meal. From tempura to tofu to spinach, Japanese pickles, miso soup, bread, some wierd white stuff that looked like it was sitting in spit (I had a hard time getting that down), to chesnut rice. Followed by desserts. First, tangerines and apples, then chocolate cake, then ice cream, and coffee and tea in between it all.

I learned her grandfather, the man who is still teaching my students kendo is 80 years old! 80! Insane that he's teaching a martial art still! The family makes their living by farming flowers. I was there for 6 hours! 6 hours and it felt like two. It was spectacular. I was able to practice my Japanese with her parents and grandparents - and have real conversation with Yumie. It was absolutely wonderful. She wants to hang out again - as I do, too. I am so happy and grateful to have met this family.

Saturday morning, I woke up bright and early. I headed into Ishinomaki to check out this International Association's grand opening. I am trying to get involved in the community here and being a part of things. I felt pretty out of place, everyone was there in suits and ties, and I was there in a sweater and corduroys. There were international dancers and it was a huge deal. After the formal ceremony, I approached one of the dancers and told her I liked her dance in Japanese - she was from Russia. Another white man was there. We got chatting and it turns out my job - he was one of the first people to do it. He did it the second year you could. He came back later to become an English professor at a college here. I got to practice my Japanese with him and the other Japanese folks there. It felt so amazing to talk to him - he was so empathetic - but wiser. He sort of reminded me of my Uncle Mark - understanding of my problems I encounter - nonjudgmental and offered realistic advice.

Afterwards, I picked up Katie & Akira, Meg & Brian came over and we all made dinner at my place, listened to Christmas music, chatted, watched Battle Royale. I fell asleep since it was in all Japanese and I had been drinking my infamous Yellow Tail. We squeezed all of us into my living room and had a slumber party.

Which brings me to today. Meg & I woke up bright and early for a race. It was an outdoor cross country race and we would be running 3.3km (approx 2 miles). We got there bright and early and were greeted by our lovely running friend - Mitsuhiro San. He is the man in my conversation class that informs me of these races. We watched the opening ceremony and didn't have to run until 11:00. There was also a 1.4 km race that many of my elementary school students were partaking in. I went out and did my public relations, saying hello to them all, their parents, trying my Japanese with them. They got to see me outside of the classroom, in my scum clothes, hair ruffled, and trying to speak Japanese, not teaching English. It was lovely.


The races are wonderful. The races are split by sex and age. I go into the adult females - meaning some of the women I am racing against are in their 60's. There is a group of older women that are a running club. They remembered Meghann and I from the 10kilo marathon we did in October. They came over and wished us luck and said they remembered us. It was so nice of them. They were awesome.

The race went well - it was a bit difficult. The end, there was a really steep and hard hill that just kicked my butt. I ended up finishing 4th and Meghann san at 5th place. We were about 20-30 second apart. I did it in 17 minutes and some seconds. It's such an amazing feeling to finish a race. It was so great - having all my students cheer me on. They are adorable.

After our race, we cheered Mitshiro san on - he ended up placing 3rd - he's soooooooooo fast! He ran 4.85 kilo in only two minutes longer than me! Since all of us had place - we had to wait around until the awards ceremony. Mitsuhiro san had thought ahead and made us all lunch. So kind. We ate lunch while waiting for the ceremony. We got our awards and then had some coffee and apple pie at a little cafe.
In the evening; Brian San and I went Christmas shopping with some friends from our adult conversation class we teach. Same as our birthday - they spend about $100 on us for Christmas presents. We did some Christmas shopping so that they can give it to us at our Christmas party we will have in two weeks. I got a new battery for my camera since mine is over 2 years old and dies within minutes now a days, an electric blanket and a USB drive. Afterwards we got dinner. A lovely ending to a lovely day.

It snowed today. My first snow fall in Japan. It wasn't a real snowfall as in it stuck - but there was certainly white flakes falling from the heaven. To be honest - it was a comforting feeling. It's one of those things - that as strange as things are in Japan to me - snow is just as normal as anything. I felt pretty excited to see it. Yay=)

Alright, I hope everyone had wonderful weekends themselves. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI love, i'm glas you had a nice weekend and thats really cool that you were in a house older than the united states!! have a nice week!

Dave said...

it's funny; on sunday for an hour or two i was out wandering the countryside to the north of ishinomaki, and when it started snowing i felt the same way. i mean, despite - or maybe because of - all the rice fields and everything, there was something comfortingly familiar about it.

Lisa Marie said...

I see you next month!!!
p.s. i bought your x-mas present last week!!