Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Winter Hiking up Funagatayama

Snow. That word used to make me shiver, make me want to move south, make me hate driving and despise everything about winter. From always having the bottom of my pants being soggy, to having to clean off my car every morning, every time I went anywhere, driving 15 mph when I could be going 45, taking extra long to go places, being cold, having to wear boots and big sweaters to the bars, all the inconveniences of snow.

Yet, now I think of snow and I get excited. As I have written previously, it's almost a comforting feeling to see snow in the land of unfamiliarity. It's only snowed twice since I've been here. Both times - just a short snowfall and nothing sticking to the ground.

On Sunday, I went hiking on a mountain called Funagata. It is in both my prefecture of Miyagi and also looms into my neighboring prefecture called Yamagata Ken. FYI: Yama means mountain in Japanese.

Meg & I crashed at my place before waking up bright and early to meet everyone else in Ishinomaki. There would be 6 of us going today - Meg, Tamo, Brock, Suzuki san & his friend Hide' along with me. We drove approximately two hours to reach the parking area and trailhead. Our plans were to try to reach a mountain hut in which we would eat lunch and then finish it out with a mini summit.

Snow! So much snow! It was like a different world from that of Ishinomaki. I felt like I was at home again - seeing all this snow! The word for today was layers. For my upper body - I came in my long underwear, a thermal, a tshirt, a long sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt and my winter Jacket. I had fleece pants on underneath my Adidas pants. Two pairs of gloves, my hat and two pairs of socks with my new hiking boots I received for my birthday from my Adult conversation class.

It reminded me of being a little kid again. I remember so fondly of getting layered up to go play in the yards with Steph & Dee, perhaps my sisters and their brothers. We'd have snowball fights, make snow tunnels of the piles of snow left behind from Ken's plowing or just run around and jump around in the snow. Usually we always ended back up at Steph's house so Sally could make us hot chocolate. When I got home - I'd place my wet belongings over all the vents in the house - so they would be dry in time for school the next day.

We started up the mountain - no problem - there was a good amount of snow - but nothing my new, warm boots couldn't handle. I was in my bliss - being in nature and being in snow with my friends. We stopped a few times to remove layers, play in the snow and have some photo ops.
I don't know what it is about nature - or being outdoors but there is a part of me that comes alive. There is something spiritual to me about nature - something that makes me long to be out there. I can't really put into words - the way I feel when I reach the summit of a mountain, witness a beautiful sunrise, view a breath-taking sunset, or stumble across waterfalls. It had been way too long since I had last been actively in nature like I was that day.


We were only maybe an hour or less into the hike when the snow suddenly was engulfing our feet and legs and the wind was whistling past us quickly as to prevent us from going much faster. It was decided by our leader - Suzuki - san that we would only hike up a bit more before turning back down. With this new information that we didn't need to worry much about staying dry - Tamo & I kind of just went crazy with the snow. Jumping into it, rolling around in it, the whole ordeal of acting like you're 10 in your first snowfall. I smiled and laughed all day long - and truly being outdoors - being one with nature - does make me feel alive. Love, friendship, laughter, nature, happiness makes me feel alive. I had almost all of the above on my trip to Funagatayama. =)



Of course, afterwards, we went to onsen. I am becoming an onsen queen here. Meghann and I have started a custom of working out at the gyms on Wednesdays and then going straight to onsen after. I spent the rest of the day in my place - doing laundry and cleaning up a bit. It's hard to keep my place clean cause it's so cold in my house. I will certainly take full advantage of "spring cleaning" whenever spring arrives.

That, my friends was my trip to Funagatayama. No summit - but lots of fun and good time spent with those that are becoming good friends. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I'd love to talk to someone who sends you stuff and discuss how utterly ridiculous and backwards people at shipping stores really are when you mention a place outside, oh I don't know, the midwest?

Unknown said...

i'm not sure how much i would have enjoyed hiking in the snow, but i'm glad you enjoyed it so much!! it hasn't snowed at all here yet and i truly enjoy it!!