Sunday, December 10, 2006

Inspired to write

Here I sit in some random coffee shop. I am the fifth customer to walk in, taking the last table. In front of me, there is the woman who is running it. She informed me I can only order toast, curry & coffee.

There are two women to the right of me, talking quickly - perhaps, they are mother and daughter. There are two more women in here - kind of chatting with one another and with the owner. The owner looks tough. She has a "don't give me any crap" attitude. She looks like she'd be a tough mother, a strict boss and a mean aunt. The customers that are chatting with her are getting nothing return but a few glances and grunts.

As a result of this cold attitude, I didn't try my Japanese to see if I could have meatless curry. So - for lunch today it's buttered toast and my 3rd cup of a hot, caffeinated beverage. The place is interesting - poorly lit, a showcase of seashells to my right and photos lining the walls. They are mostly of flowers, a city that looks like it could be Venice and a large photo of Niagara Falls as you enter. The shop is littered with papers everywhere, the floor - tiled, each with the same beautiful, intricate design. The tables and chairs are dark wood. The tables have bright red felt in the middle covered by glass.

There's one calendar on the wall that hasn't been changed since June - the other one, which is directly besides it - is a bit more up to date - at November. There's a wood box with glass for people to go stand in if someone calls their cell phone.

One woman has since left, since I've begun to write this. The other woman - has started stealing glances at me. The owner has give us all apiricots. It's more of a dessert and very sweet. She asked if it was delicious and I said yes.

This sparked us into a conversation - talking most about me - that I'm from America, near Niagara Falls, the owner's daughter studied somewhere in Canada 20 years ago, I'm an English teacher, what grades I teach, how long I want to stay in Japan for, etc. I can proudly say that all of those questions were asked and answered in Japanese. Simple conversation - but rewarding nonetheless.

Why am I in here? I was supposed to be at a Christmas party today that the International Association I have started going to was holding. I drove into Ishinomaki bright and early - and communicated to a man what town I needed to go to at the train station. He told me my fair was 140 Yen and what platform I catch my train at. I get to the platform, ask a woman if I am at the right spot. She informs me that my stop is the first one. I get to my stop - and get off - in the middle of nowhere.

I knew where I had to go - but only in English. I tried calling a woman that would be there - she didn't answer. I had no coins left - so I went into a liquor/convenient store. I was trying to get my bill broken into coins so I could make a phone call to someone else to ask how to say where I needed to go in Japanese - which was "town hall."

The woman running the store thought I needed a phone number, not change. I, then, looked into my dictionary to see that "town hall" was in there. I showed her town hall - soon, she's showing me the address and phone number. I then expressed I only need directions.

At that moment, a boy walks into the store. The store owner, who was only a bit taller than me, with glasses, grey hair and about my grandparents age - asked him how he got here. He responded that his father brought him. Soon, without my consent or even knowledge - arrangements are being made for me to get a ride with this boy's father. When it was being explained to me, the woman hugged me and said "watashi no friend" or "my friend". I believe most Japanese women have a natural, motherly instinct about them.

So, here I go, into this man's large vehicle, while his son continues to browse the candy section of the store. Something, I'd never in a million years consider doing in America. (sorry, Mom!). On the way, I ask about his son, explain that I'm an English teacher in Monou, etc. We get there and nothing is going on. I double check that I'm in the right town and this is the only "town hall.". My information is all correct. He starts asking/telling/saying something about his house or my house and phone and me & him.

I'm my head, I'm thinking it's not worth this man's trouble to do all this for me - since it's 12:30 at this point and the party ends at 2:00. I can't communicate that to him - so I tell him "I go to Ishinomaki." Meaning I want him to take me back to the stop and I'll just wait until the next train goes to Ishinomaki. Some more confusing conversation and I understand he'll drive me back to Ishinomaki.

I thank him profusively. On the way, I think back to my last blog entry and the quote about doing things for people where they can never repay you. I ask about his job - he builds bridges - I'm feeling blessed and actually am laughing at the situation at this point.

He ends up driving me to my car. Where I realize there's been a misunderstanding - pretty easy to do since we don't speak the same language. It's 1:00 at this point. I thank him and explain to him in Japanese that I was supposed to bring a present to my Christmas party, but now I don't go. Therefore, please take my present. He said no, no - you are still going and some other stuff in Japanese. It's at this point I realize he did all this for me so I could still make it to my party on time. But - I didn't know who else to call, where to go, etc. He looked so disappointed - I can't even explain to you his face. It's like he wanted to save the day and he didn't and he was just so sad. I made him take my gift of assorted teas and hot chocolate. I left with many thank you's to him.

I walked to my car, I got in and actually cried a little bit. I was grateful that I had something to give him as thanks - but I could just tell by the way he looked - he would have been happier if I gave him no gift and he was able to get me to my party. I don't know why it affected me so much.

I got my Japanese study materials and came to this shop because I've always wondered about it when I passed by it. This isn't a conducive study environment and to be honest, I don't feel like studying. I feel like writing and so I did. Pretty soon, it's just 3 of us in here - including the owner. The other customer gave me a yoghurt drink to have - why? I don't know why, but it always seems I am given gifts.

That's my inspiration for today.

It snowed this morning - much more than last week. I loved it. It's a cold, dreary day and I wish I could just go lay on someone's couch - watch a movie, TV, not feel compelled to talk to one another to be comfortable - but to be comfortable just in one another's company. Someday.

I write this sentence as I change my opinion on the owner. I find the shop quite personal afterall. The women are very interested in me - trying to make conversation with me. Perhaps, I will make a habit of coming here to practice speaking Japanese. The mean owner has turned into more of a curious, inquiring, child with many smiles.

Next post: about my snow forest hike - check back in a few days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sara that was a lovely blog, and it was so nice to give that man your present, i'm sure that he loved it!! miss you tons! can't wait to hear about the hike in the snow!