Monday, December 18, 2006

Writing crazy!

Ok, so this is my 4th post in two days. I am becoming addicted to writing. That and I don't have much work as the students are going on break in a few days.

I wanted to share a short story I had today with two ninth grade girls.

In Japanese,
Student 1 "Sara Sensei, do you have a boyfriend?"
Me "No, but I want one"
Student 1 "awwwweee"
Student 2 "you're not married?"
Me: No
Student 1 "How old are you?"
Me: 23
Student 1 "Do you want to get married"
Me No
Student 2 "Why?"
Me " I am young, still, maybe when I am 30"
Student 1 and 2: "30! wow!"
Student 2 - pointing to a boy - he wants to have babies when he is 18
Me: I interpreted it as he is having a baby because his girlfriend is 18
to the boy student: "you are having a baby?"
Boy Student: I want to
Me: But you're having one, now?
Boy Student: No, when I am 18
Me: Very confused
Student 2: Do you want kids?
Me: no
Student 1: why?
Me: (wishing I could explain that I don't want kids because it is a lifetime commitment - but that is too hard) instead I say "they cry a lot and are annoying"
Student 1 and 2: shocked faces!
Student 2: It is all Japanese girls dreams to be married by 18
Me: 18?
Student 1: Yes, 18!
Me: Why?
Student 2: It is our dream.
Me: But that is only 3 years away
Student 2: yes, but it is our dream
Student 1: We also want babies by 20
Student 2: Yes, our dream is to have babies by 20
Me: That is so young
Student 2: But all Japanese girls want that
Me: Not me!

They think I'm crazy for not wanting to be married yet and I think they are crazy for wanting to be! It was a fun conversation.

No comments: