Sunday, October 01, 2006

Naruse Oku Matsushima

I spent hours today trying to figure out HTML coding so that my blog could have a cool, new look. I don't get it. If you are reading this and understand HTML - teach me so I can make a cool new template.

Today, I've spoken no English except for singing to my music. I've had no interaction. I hate days like today. Yesterday was a wonderful day. A woman in my Eikaiwa class (English Conversation Class) asked me to go on this boat, cruise thing. Her name is Teruko. I wasn't really sure what it was but I said yes. She picked me up at 12:30 - and took me back to her house for the time being. She has a dog named Grace. It is a golden retriever - I really, really want a pet! I think I'd be less lonely if I had one!

So after some hassles - we went to Naruse Oku Matsushima. We went onto this little tiny boat and went around these beautiful pine islands for maybe 30 minutes. Absolutely gorgeous! See video & pictures! I include pictures as well because the quality of the video is awesome on my computer but as soon as I publish it onto the internet - the quality just sucks.









After the cruise - we hiked up this small hill that was about a kilometer to walk. We got to the top to indulge ourselves in stunning views of this area. About this time, I realized that we were a part of some group - but I had no idea how I was involved. I started talking to a boy named Shou. He's 25 from China and attends a University in Sendai - working on his PHd of Mechanical Engineering. It was fun using Japanese as the "universal" language with him. Although, he speaks great English for only studying it and never being to an English speaking country. He was really friendly and I enjoyed talking with him.

After hiking down - we went to a small museum which was really nice. We didn't get a long time to check it out but it was fine - I can't read much anyways. Then, I am ushered upstairs to be put into my Yukatta (the kimono like thing I'm wearing in these pictures). At this point, I'm just mega confused as to what is going on. I talked to another girl - she was also 25, studying Mechanical Engineering PHd and attending the same University as Shou - she was from Singapore. I am one of the first to be dressed so I head back into this main room without Teruko. I walk in and sit down next to some men. I tried having a conversation with them - but it was very limited. The next thing I know - I'm surrounded by all these men in business suits. I am soooo confused. What the heck is going on? Someone starts giving a speech - and all these business men start standing up and everyone is applauding them. Of course - I'm sitting right in the middle of them. Some more speeches and all the people around my age - that were from all over the world , as i've mentioned China and Singapore, but then there was also Mexico, Brazil, Syria, and a girl from Vancouver, Canada were asked to come stand up. I'm standing up there with all them - we're all dressed in kimonos or robes. I don't know what is being said but everyone is applauding us. Then, time to eat!

Teruko and I
Me in my Yukata (I dont know if that is spelled right)


After dinner, they start calling people up to give speeches in Japanese - and by people - I mean all of us foreigners. I thought I'll wing it. I was the last to be called. I got up there and just froze. After all these speeches I've given at the schools - I was just so confused about everything that I froze. I made an idiot of myself. What else is new. I didn't know what I was supposed to be talking about. I can't understand what others were saying!

So yes, the experience of a Yukata being put on. As my mom asked - do you wear anything underneath? No - just my undies. Then, that pink sash thing is covering about 10 other strings and a cardboard piece to make your hips widers and stomache smaller. Basically - it's very tight around you. It took about 10 minutes for a woman to arrange me properly. I was standing there being pulled and prodded at to have it on just right. The back has a huge bow - that only limited amount of women can actually tie correctly. Then, you wear these shoes. Check out my picture. They are very hard to walk in because they are up on platforms like stilts - except for the front. So you are constantly having to shuffle your feet. If you've read Memoirs of a Geisha - Sayuri discusses the difficulty in wearing these sandals. Hers - I believe have even more of height on them. I was constantly shuffling, tripping over my own two feet and falling forward! It was a great experience!

I finally had the opportunity to talk to the Canadian girl who is also an English teacher like me. She explained this whole ordeal to me. It's actually a really cool concept. All these other young people from all over the world apply to this "home stay" program. If they get accepted, they go stay with a Japanese family in different parts of my prefecture on certain weekends. Then, that town that is hosting, arranges for things for these people to do. While, I wasn't a homestay person - I was invited by Teruko because i was international. I was so glad to finally learn what was going on. It's an awesome concept and I wish I had known about it soon - I most certainly would have applied to do it. She thinks it's too late but she will forward me the information.

Then - some older women did a dance for us. I don't know the name of it - but it was nice to watch. Afterwards, we all gave it a go and tried dancing with them. I'm going to be a professional dancer by the time I get home.






Speaking of dancing. When I was introducing myself to all these people. I basically told them I was the English teacher in Monou town. Now - as soon as I said that - their faces lit up and they started saying over and over "Haneko Odori". That is the dance I did - where hundreds upon hundreds were watching me. They realized when I said I was the English teacher in Monou that it was none other than ME they saw dancing. I think at least 10 people realized it when I said who I was. I mean it took no more than 5 seconds for it to register in their minds. I told you I am famous. Anyways - they asked me to do it again. I was given two plates to use as fans and asked to dance. I did the dance but I didn't use the fans. I tell you - I'm Britney Spears of Japan. I did that dance nearly a month ago and people are still remembering me doing it. How embarrassing.

After that - it was just social time really. I talked with the other international students. I'm finally understanding the concept of English as an "international" language. I think everyone of us spoke a different language - except for the two North Americans (the Canadian & I) - however, everyone spoke broken Japanese/English to eachother. It was a lot of fun. I even met a man there that lived in Western USA for 30 years! He started talking to me and I asked him where he had studied English because he barely had an accent! He explained to me about living in the USA and coming back to Japan and stuff. It's always so weird to talk with someone who speaks English unexpectedly. The guy from Syria is here studying to be a dentist.

Other than - I had a really enjoyable experience. I realized that while loneliness and language barrier is a huge factor in my transition here. I think the reason that I am really lonely is because I never really interact with people my age - only other westerners. However, all the Japanese people that I interact with are the same age as my mom. I miss being around my age. While there was definitely a language barrier between me and the PHd students - they were close enough to my age that I was having fun with them. I also really miss the college atmosphere. Some of you are aware that I've considered becoming a study abroad coordinator in my future after doing some more traveling. I really see myself doing that more and more because I really enjoy the college setting. What is more fulfilling than getting someone started with travel bug? Afterwards - everyone said goodbye.


Teruko took me back to her house where we had some coffee and she had me try this juice like stuff she made. It was really good. We chatted a bit and then she took me home. That was the hilite of my weekend. It was a beautiful Saturday. I'm really glad I said Yes and endured all the confusion because it was a wonderful experience. Thank you Teruko =)

By the way - to see all the pictures from my trip - click on the pictures link to the right. Go to the Naruse album. I will also be adding more pictures as Teruko took many of me. She'll probably give them to me on Thursday at Eikaiwa.

Also - I hope that both C Funk & Julie had great birthdays and wish I was there to celebrate with you. Miss you both =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello love!! well i did have a good birthday, it would have been better if i was with you, but it was great that you called me!! i can't wait to start dancing with my fan! i'm going to practice soo much! and i really don't know how you are able to live without knowing what is going on around you, that would drive me crazy!! all right i miss you! and love you!