Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I want to make a difference

I want to make a difference in this world. I love being in Japan and what I am doing here. But - am I really making a difference? Sometimes - this job is not rewarding at all. I mean - it's rewarding for my personal life. But - as far as this world. Am I really making the world a better place? I want to help others. I want to make someone's life better that has it worse than me.

U2 - this morning, driving to work, made me think these things. Listening to Bad by U2 - while driving to the teaching job made me realize - my life is good - but others aren't. I really want to do something to help others. Time to reconsider where I wanted to go with my life - yet again..

lyrics:
If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...

This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go

And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, ne?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it seems hard to find what will answer all your questions and needs. That there's a perfect age and time and place to be and you're just waiting to arrive at it.

I know sometimes when you're really enjoying yourself and on a mission, it can feel like you're not where you should be, and lonely.

I also know that the day to day journey is what makes your life. Not a single time or age or place. It's an accumulation of all you do and are. An accumulation of all the people that love you and support you.

You can do it all, - you just can't do it all at once. Trust yourself. Enjoy each day.

Explore, travel, be adventurous, be safe, experience traditional holidays and seasons, find new holidays and seasons, be surrounded by the people you love, be surrounded by strangers with everything new around you. Feel God's presence, feel the emptiness of a bottomless pit. Good health, illness, feet that hurt and sometimes don't. Good runs and bad.

That's the pain and joy of being alive. You're not alone. It stretches back through the generations before you, from the beginning of time. Welcome to the party!

Aunt Chris

Benjamin Ellis said...

well said aunt chris.

those words screamed out at the end of "bad" are words I scream along to...

I'm glad to know there are others screaming with me.

until then...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


-Benj.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sara, Love Dad