Sunday, October 15, 2006

Some thoughts

I wrote this on paper on Thursday while at work. I'm starting to become addicted to writing because it's a really great way for me to reflect on my life.

Lately, I've been listening to certain music - it's a pretty clear reflection of how I'm feeling internally. If you could check out the most played songs on my ipod - you'd find a steady common theme of sad love songs or songs of nostalgia. Even my most favorite songs that are just the least bit with an upbeat tempo -usually get skipped.

This morning while driving to Junior High School - an upbeat song came onto my ipod, that typically I would skip. But, I felt great about today. I work out yesterday, I got to bed by 11:00 and slept for eight hours. I have plans to work out after today. The sun is actually shining and I feel great.

I reached school and the first thing a teacher asked me - is if I watch the news here. I informed her that I have been reading it on the internet since I can't understand the TV. I thought the direction we were headed was about North Korea and the fact we all might be nuked. She asked me if I read about the plane hitting the buiding in New York City. My initial reaction was what? today? I mean I had just read the news an hour ago. I'm sure that would have been front page news. I asked her - today? "Yes, today". Then, my stomache dropped and I did felt a combination of panic, sadness, loneliness, confusion all at once. Then, she informed me that it was a Yankees plane - that all had died and it wasn't a terrorist attack. I was under the impression all Yankees were aboard and then imagined the reaction of the US people. I quickly logged onto a computer to read that it wasn't a huge deal. I mean it is - but not 9.11 deal which is how it originally was presented to me.

In reflection to that, I am shocked at all the emotions I felt when I thought another 9.11 was happening at home with the constant threat of nuclear testing here.

A man that often approaches me with the most interesting topics came to me today. We had a conversation regarding Condoleeza Rice. He thinks she will be the next President during election 2012. He also thinks Hilary would make a bad president for the American public. He said he likes Bush even though most Japanese people would disagree with him. He likes "strong" people and although Bush may not be leading us in the right direction - he is a "clear -cut" man and not wishy washy.

In addition to this, he said they teach Japanese students about five presidents - George Washington, Abe Lincoln, both Roosevelts and Woodrow Wilson. This man shocked me with his English. I love that he always attempts conversation with me. I have always cut it short because I didn't think he had such great capabilities. In fact, his English is great - sentence structure & everything. He's one of the "in - the - closet" speakers. He can talk and understand but he's shy about it. I just thought these viewpoints were interesting which is why I am writing about it on my blog.

Today, I'm again taken back college. All the supervisors of the district came in to spectate our classes. Of course, my co-teacher prepared extensive lesson plans - nothing like we ever do. O arrive to school in my everday business casual clothing. Everyone is in suits and ties & suits as well for the women. I guess with everything all my business professor's taught me - I should have assumed to wear more than my gap pants and a Loft blouse. It's so strange because generally all teachers only wear clothes that you would wear around the house - usually I am overdressed in what I am wearing.

Anyways - the supervisors being here caused for an atmosphere of semi chaos. Everyone is very uptight about making sure everything is just perfect. The atmosphere surely put a bit of nervousness into my blood as well. I think it is more nerve whacking for my co-workers since these people are their supervisors and not mine. Howeve,r it was almost fun for me. I did get a bit nervous - but really all the emotions just reminded me of Plattsburgh. It reminded me of all the presentations I had to do. It reminded me of working in a team. The fact that this is it - I'm being evaluated and I either know it or I don't. That if something doesn't go as planned - keep forging ahead - no looking back. Both the teachers I teach with expressed their nervousness to me. I was clearly more relaxed over it. At that moment, as much as I complained about college - it prepared me well. Thank you to all my awesome professors - Dr. Csipak, Dr. Church, Dr. Gaber. You can clearly see I'm not the best impromptu speaker (from my video) but! that was in the beginning. I'm getting there.

Life is one big classroom. Take from the people around you and the experiences from your past. Utilize all you've learned in your life for your current situation.

I feel totally enlightened and grateful for the education I received at Plattsburgh. Even if it was business and not education.

No comments: