Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Life is about experiences

I'm writing this blog on the Shinkansen ride back from Tokyo for my birthday extended weekend. I am so far behind on my blog since I've just been crazy busy. But – those of you that know my habits - know I tend to keep myself overly busy.

I've been wanting to write about last Sunday – October 29th. I had a jam packed day. It was full of spending time with the Japanese folks that are in my life. I volunteer to teach adults English in my community. I don't get paid because in my contract I sign with this program – I agree that I will not take any second jobs – even if it would just be teaching adults once a week. Well, money was never the issue for me anyways. I agreed to do it knowing it was on my own time. Money, to me, could never make up for the experiences these people bring me. Nearly any weekend that I don't have some sort of weekend trip planned – they have offers to do something together. The different types of events that I do with each and every one of them – surely enriches my time in Japan moreso than any money could ever do for me. I am so grateful they are a part of my life here and they are allowing me to be a part of theirs.

Sunday morning – I woke up and went to see one of my adults students – Mitsuhiro. He gave me tickets to see this talent/act show he would be singing in. I arrived at 11:00 and had a wonderful time. I sat by myself but it was great being a part of this. I had to leave at 1:00; but in between that time I saw many women and men singing, dancing, and even a bit of Noh Drama. It was like nothing I have been to before – simply because it was all in Japanese.

Following the talent act show – I went to go play the most popular sport of ParkGolf. This was with another man from my Adult class – Saitoh Sensei and with Brian Sensei (the other teacher with my class.) ParkGolf is kind of a cross between putt putt and regular golf. The differences are the ball is a rubber ball – and a bit bigger than a regular golf ball. The club is well – different from a putt putt club – but I am not really sure what kind of club to compare it to for regular golf. You hit the ball off a tee and pars are generally par 3 -5. Now – since I haven't really played golf in probably 4 years and only played twice – I think I did okay. I was never really a big golfer at home – which is why I haven't played in 4 years. I usually got pretty frustrated at home. It seems that most things I wouldn't do at home – I am willing to give it a go here. I actually enjoyed it a lot and had a really pleasant experience. We played 4 rounds of 9 holes. From most easy to most difficult – and I could definitely feel the difference between the courses. I have a fairly crappy long shot.


After ParkGolf – we went to Saitoh Sensei's house and I met his wife. We had some snacks and coffee before quickly going out to dinner.

Dinner was at this amazing building. It was in the shape of a castle! I had some sort of Japanese pasta – that was really tasty. We talked a bit about the USA's geography, our family – and just getting to know each other better.

Following dinner, I went to meet with Mitsue – my young teacher friend – for some coffee. It was so nice to finally get out with her. I have been wanting to hang out with her – but all teacher's work like 60 hour weeks here which makes it really difficult for me to make friends with my co-workers. It was also so nice to see her not in her professional attire, with cute clothes and makeup! She definitely looked like a 24 year old to me. I invited her to come out with my friends and me sometime – I hope she takes me up on the offer.

That was my Sunday – but I really wanted to share it just simply to scream out that money isn't everything.

No comments: