Monday, November 20, 2006

A lesson in Music

In response to my blog from a friend,

"BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- Six students were trampled to death at a middle school in eastern China and 39 were injured when a sudden panic caused them to swarm into a staircase, state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday.

It was unclear what triggered the panic following an evening class on Saturday at a school in Duchang County in the province of Jiangxi."

This is why America doesn't panic, I suppose. =)

I have a newfound love. I love karaoke. I never was a fan of it before - but we went to a karaoke bar for Dave's 22nd birthday two weekends ago. In case you are unaware; the Japanese LOVE karaoke. I came here knowing that at some point I would have to be a part of the culture and do it. A karaoke bar - I wasn't really sure what it was before going there; I had a rough idea - but since I had actually never been to one - I didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be really cheap since we had so many folks. But basically, you rent out a room per hour that is equipped with a karaoke TV, microphones, and a little remote to input whatever song you wish to sing. There are couches that circle a table and the TV is directly in front of you. You can bring in your own food, alcohol, whatever you want. From there - you just wait until your song comes on and then sing your little heart out. In which, I did. For those of you who knew my summer song - let me tell you; I sang "my hips don't lie" like a champ. So, Sam, Ben, Jon - thanks for putting up with my lame ass summer song.
This past weekend was lovely. Friday - I stayed in - as I am starting to feel a bit old - and after 40 hours - I am tired and not really in the mood to do much anymore. Wierd because I used to put in more than 40 hours of work & studying at college - and play just as hard - but I guess everything was so much more convenient. Saturday, I slept in for the first time in probably two months. Cleaned up my house a bit (anyone want to be a maid in Japan? Free housing...) and headed into Ishinomaki to celebrate Mandy's birthday. We went to the ever - famous nomihodai aka all you can drink and some food for two hours. Following that, we went back to the apartment where we continued drinking since Mandy got 17 litres of alcohol for her birthday. Woke up Sunday and came back home...

Music lesson number 2. I always am asked to do things by people - but never really know exactly what I am doing with the language barrier. So - Sunday, I had agreed to go see a man in my Adult conversation class sing. It was lovely - a great cultural experience. And - since you can't come to Japan - I am bringing Japan to you.

This first video - I don't particularly find the song to great - but I love the ending - ya'all can get some good feeling on what it is like to sit through things that are entirely in Japanese. Enjoy!




This second video - I really enjoy the music. Maybe - you will too.



This third video - again, I find the music pretty intriguing. Maybe by this point, you're sick of hearing this man sing. He isn't the man in my class - but someone else who must have been like the "star of the show" because he sang for about 30 minutes. The man in my class sang one song and then came out in the end to sing with everyone again.



This last video - might make you a bit dizzy. Sorry - I was trying to clap along with them. I want to show it though because the man from my class is in this one. He is the tall man, in the middle wearing the white kimono with black sash.



Again, grateful for the ticket to see this show. Something, I would never be able to find on my own. Following the concert, I still had 1.5 hours of daylight and it wasn't raining. I had been seeing signs for the park that was obviously nearby...so I decided to go on an adventure and find it. I followed the signs, crossed under a torii and drove up an incredibly steep hill. I parked where you could no longer drive anymore. I got out of my car and picked a way to go. I walked and saw a shrine or temple in the distance amongst the trees. It was so quiet and peaceful up there walking amongst the color changing trees all by myself. I finally got to the temple. It was old and decrepid, but so lovely just up in nature like that. I took out a hyakuen (= $1.00) and threw it in and for the first time in years, put my hands together and prayed. I don't know who I prayed to - but I prayed.



Following my brief visit to this holy place - I started backtracking and decided to go up another hill that was a fork in the road. I hiked and hiked and finally reached to where there was a sign and the trail started to become a bit overgrown. Common sense told me to stop here. I will go back - as I took a picture of the sign and am going to have someone translate it to make sure it is okay I will go back. But, it also wasn't too intelligient with the dark setting in less than an hour, in inappropriate clothing, no water, and with a cold nonetheless.

I went back downhill and headed back towards my car. I got to the area and then went up a different way. I found another little torii passed under it and came to a small little prayer box. I checked it out and went back as it was a dead end. I continued up and up a really steep hill. I came to another path - but a big sign in Japanese with the NO sign meaning I probably shouldn't go down it. I took a picture again, to get it translated for me. I headed more and more uphill until I reached a really green, grassy knoll. I walked, walked and walked. I came to another shrine! And many other smaller buildings. At this point, I felt like I was on top of the world. I was the only one in this entire park, with such beautiful surroundings. This is exactly what I have been looking for since I've been here. Something Japanese, peaceful, nature, and while being in solitude, wanting that solitude there. I just stood at the top, for a while, wishing I had paper to write. I had a feeling overcome me. One that I can't describe - but it was a good feeling. The grass was so green, the sky was not raining down on me, I was up there with the birds, I could see the Pacific Ocean, I could see Ishinomaki City, I could see the country, I could see the hills - I was finally eye level with the hills, I could see the way to my house, the way to the gym, it was so rewarding. I am just so stoked to have found this park. On warmer, sunny days, I fully intend on being there all day long. I hope it is as desolate year round as it was on Sunday - and not because it's a bit chilly in November.

I saw a sign that I believe offered a lot of hiking trails. I cant' wait to just put my boots on and go. Oh, a place to explore only 40 minutes from my house. YESSSSS!!!! Can you tell how excited I am?

So, I took a picture so you can see how country I am. This is the best one I've got so far -because to this point - I haven't been this high up near my house. Take a look at all the rice fields - they look pretty ugly since they are all harvested now. However, the green ones you saw a few months ago - do make it pretty before harvest. And - the nice hills that are around my area.


The beautiful green, grassy knoll I found is below. And the hills in the distance.I would have taken more photos but my camera died. Atleast you get an idea! YAY for this park! YAY YAY YAY!

After my park adventure, I made a real American dinner of salad, spaghetti with a homemade sauce and garlic bread for Mitsue. We followed it with tea and a strawberry cake she brought. Yummy! I showed her pictures from Plattsburgh and Tokyo. I showed her the "real" Sara. Atleast the real Sara from college - the crazy, party animal. I don't know who the "real" Sara is at the moment. She enjoyed the pictures and laughed a lot. Mitsue told me it was the same for her at college and she drank alot. Next time, she is going to bring pictures of her college and friends to show me. I can't wait!

Alright, that's all I feel like writing for now because I don't want to bore everyone. I hope all is well at home. HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

2 comments:

The Dad said...

So did you sound like Madonna or a canary in your singing

ollie said...

Japanese Idol?
And a Happy Thanksgiving to you too, wish you could be here to share in the families gatherings.
xoxox