Sunday, September 24, 2006

The week ends, the week begins

Sunday - the only day where I do enjoy my solidarity. My weeks are filled with screaming children and laughter; where my weekends are engulfed with friends & laughter. Sunday is my time to reflect on my past week and anticipate the week that lies ahead of me with my own thoughts. I appreciate my Sunday solidarity and that's a huge step in my transition to Japan - becoming cognizant of my own self.

The week ends...the week begins - lyrics from my main man - Dave Matthews himself.

My weekend was perfect. That is really the best word to describe it. After work on Friday, I drove, all by myself to Ogatsu to Meghann's apartment. I did it! YATTA! I didn't stall out at all nor do I have any stories to tell you about how "my driving went bad". I can only report to you that I was successful. Brian joined us on this evening and we had a delectable meal consisting of salad, sweet pototatoes - which might actually be a new daiski (favorite) food of mine,
On the way, we stopped at FamilyMart, which is basically a 711 you can be sure to see all over this country. On the way in, an old man, probably 70 with few teeth said edamame, and some weird noodle things. Succeeding dinner, the three of us indulged in some alcoholic beverages and entertaining conversations. We all crashed and woke up bright and early to begin our Saturday!

Brian headed out for a soccer game that he was participating in while Meghann and I prepared for a trip to Kinkansen Island! Meghann asked Suzuki-san (the man who took us hiking a few weekends ago) for some maps and information to help get us there. We stopped by his house, and he had this beautiful map hilited for us and some landmarks to look for at the two turns we needed to make. In addition, he provided us with the ferry times to get onto the island and some maps of the island as well.
a few words of English to us. He followed us into the store where he was trying to read my shirt (it had English on it) and it said "Bar Crawl 2, Plattsburgh State Univeristy 06'" I just giggled at the encounter. Our driving was going fine, until we reached where our combined brainpower thought we might need to turn, but it was not matching the landmarks that Suzuki San provided for us. We went for it because going past this turn, was taking us towards Ishinomaki which is the complete wrong direction. We were driving for quite a bit and we were really unsure if we had made the correct turn. The map shows the road that we would want to be on, kind of inland, whereas we were right along the coast. This made us second guess if we had made the right decision. Finally, we come across a small pull - off where there was a man. We pulled over and I ran out quickly to catch him because he looked like he was going to pull away.

"sumimasen!" excuse me!
"coco doku desu ka?" where is here? while showing him our map.
The following story is one that Meghann and I found entertaining all day long. Basically, "here" was the entire peninsula on the map! He just kind of pointed everywhere and rambled quickly in Japanese. We both just started laughing. After 10 minutes of pointing and understanding maybe 5 words out of 100 he said, the three of us came to an understanding of where we were. Thankfully, Meg & I had made the right decision and we were on the correct road, headed the correct way.

It was so unfair that Meg had to drive and that I could take in the magnificent beauty of this coastline. This was my first experience in viewing the Japanese coast. This road we were on was situated up on the mountains. Every now and then, I was teased with what lay to the east of us - many inlets of the pacific ocean surrounded by towering cliffs. I was immediately filled with excitement and couldn't contain my genki-ness (excitedness). It reminded me of my road trip throughout New Zealand with Ferris, where the one person who was driving missed out on viewing the serene beauty of nature around us. Thankfully, in New Zealand there were many pull offs where we could stop and take it in. Unfortunately, Japan's road system is just short of being a death trap and it certainly would be unwise to even pull over because there aren't shoulders on these roads. It was truly a rejuvenating drive for me because I felt more like I was a traveller and not living in Japan. I'm a firm believer in that it is not the end that counts, but the journey that gets us there. We actually drove right through the town where we needed to catch the ferry. We finally stopped and asked an old woman
"kinkansen doku desu ka?" Where is Kinkansen Island
She pointed to it since it was just right in front of us.
Then she pointed for us to keep driving a certain way which we didn't think was right which is why we pulled over in the first place.
"Boato Doku Desu ka?" While pointin the direction she told us to head in.
Many motions that no, boat is the other way. So, we had driven through where we needed to go. We headed back and we just started to drive around the town to try to find this magical ferry to take us to the island.
Finding the boat was kind of funny, we turned onto a street and suddenly there's a man ushering us into park - we rolled down our window and said "boato?" "hai" so, we pull into the parking lot, where a woman then shows us our parking spot. Meghann does the most Japanese thing you can do in a car - and backs right into the spot! Great job, Meg! The Japanese have a fetish with backing in - but it's kind of difficult if you're not used to driving on the other side of the car and in these tight spots they have created. We get out of the car, and the woman who showed us our spot spoke some Japanese to us where she said Typhoon. We were like okay, who knows. Then, she showed us down the street and there was another woman waving to us! We ran to her because we didnt want to miss the next ferry since they only come once an hour. She showed us where to pay for our ticket - $9.00 later we are only following, yet another woman waving to us, who then points us to a man who is waving to us. There's our boat! Who needs Japanese when you have a line up of people waving to you to help you get to your next location!
We were feeling pretty accomplished - we made it there just fine, we had some good laughs on the way and here we were on the boat! We ran to the bathroom before the boat took off - and left our bags on the boat - with my cash, credit cards, my life. That's how safe Japan is - we giggled about it on the way to the bathroom about how crazy this country is. By crazy - we just mean completely different from anything we know. Not crazy in a bad way. The boat ride to the island was nice - by the way, we had the MOST perfect weather for this today. I am glad I don't have to write about how mother nature rained us out yet again. The ride made me feel like I was in Australia again - so many boat rides and ferry rides I took in Australia. Except, I wasn't with Ferris this time, I was with Meg. Seagulls followed us the whole way - nearly flying right into Meg's face which was quite funny.

Approximately 20 minutes later, Yokoso to Kinkasan Island! Let me set the backdrop for you since this is what Men & I were anticipating for our trip here. According to my Lonely Planet guide - population - 32.
Kinkasan is also known as Golden Mountain, Kinkasan is considered one of the three holiest places in Tohoku. Its spiritual significance, and the fact that it used to be a site for gold prospecting, ensures a steady stream of visitors eager for some good fortune to rub off. It's said that if you pay a visit three years running to Kinkasan's impressive shrine, you can kiss your money worries goodbye for the rest of your life. Women were banned on Kinkasan until the late 19th century. Along with its shrine, the island features the pyramid shaped Mt. Kinka (455 m), a handful of houses around the dock , cheeky deer and monkeys, mostly untended trails, a few leeches and the odd snake.

It paints a beautiful picture for you. I'll take you through our day - from sites to our emotions and how they changed. We first arrived, again feeling amazing for being there. You get off the boat and there a few shops in front of you, which we were surprised to see. You walk to the left where you cross under a HUGE Torii (the gate that is commonly leading to a Shinto shrine). Crossing under the torii - is a very steep uphill walk. We come face to face with a deer. At first, we were rather shocked at how tame these deer were. However, the more we were on the island the more we realized that these deer were everywhere and we became more accustomed to them always being around us and we were not so mesmerized by the end of the day.

So after this twenty minute uphill walk we finally reach some of the sites! We were just trying to take it in the best we could. The structures are just so old - built in 794 by an Emperor to show thanks for finding the gold used to finish a gold Great Buddha in Nara (a city southwest of Tokyo). As Meghann mentioned, it's just hard to grasp that we are in front of something or to calculate the year 794. It's just so incomprehensible to us. We soon heard these gongs, and we followed the sounds. We were looking into the home of one of the monks that lives on the island. We realized then that the life of these monks are kind of on display for tourists like us. It seemed wrong. We strolled on over to another little shrine of some sort and I tied onto the rope a coin. I figured maybe I could be rid of my monetary worries as well. The picture above is where I left my 50 yen (5o cents) to help me win the lotto. Along all these structures from the 700's were a few shops and a souvenier stand. We were appalled that the monks would allow for this to happen to this sacred island.

After looking at the sites (see pictures above), we started the hike to the summit of this mountain island. It was a short 1.5km hike uphill. It was pleasant because we really only came across a few others who decided to do the hike as well. It was pretty steep and we rested a bit for a while and chatted. We headed on up some more intaking the landscape surrounding us and questioning all sorts of things, not knowing the answer, and just chatting. We reached a part of the island, where we took out our compass and realized California was straight in front of us. We said HELLOOOO CALIFORNIA!!!!! and continued on up our hike. We starting to gain some altitude and beginning to see the indescribable beauty of this country. After maybe a 5 minute walk further, we reached the summit where there was yet another little shrine. Someone had also built small tables out of stone. A couple was leaving as we were arriving - and so we sat down and had our lunch. I had packed one of the MRE's that Dianna & Brian had sent =)
Lunch was enjoyed with views of the ocean, talks of our future travel destinations and taking in the sounds, sights, and smells of the beautiful earth surrounding us. I've tried to explain to Meghann, how being in with nature makes me feel - and it's something that isn't easy to describe but I told her that this is what I love about being out in nature. There was this awesome tree behind me that I loved. It was dead - but even being dead it radiated such beauty. Since everything surrounding us was alive - this dead tree just stuck out even moreso.
After lunch, we decided that since we didn't have too much time left on the island, we'd like to hike back down and check out the sights down below a bit more. When we got back down - we realized it was the monks that were holding these souvenier shops open. Which showed us that we were really just romanticizing the whole idea of this island. We were shocked but then realized - that maybe these monks need to sustain themselves as well. I guess at least they don't charge to see the sights, right? Then, we kind of giggled and were appalled at the same time that there was this sacred tree, hundreds and hundreds of years old. What was surrounding this sacred tree? Bright red Coca Cola benches. Then, you know that PA system that goes off in my town that is really wierd and annoying? Well, one goes off - and we just kind of looked at each other and laughed. Don't get me wrong - this is definitely worth visiting - it was as beautiful and wonderful as I described it earlier - but we both kind of were expecting this island to be nothing but sacredness and tranquility. We started heading back down towards the port, a little disappointed we had not come across any monkeys. Instead of heading back to the port, we decided to walk the opposite way. Finally, we spotted a monkey! This little guy was so funny looking. He walks on all 4's, has a red face, a red butt and long furry grey hair. He saw us looking at him and ran down. Can you spot him in the picture? It was the closest I could get! We started to follow it but it turned around and gave us an angry face, which we decided it was probably best not to approach it. All around us was perfectly mowed (or rather eaten by the deer) grass, of a gorgeous green. There were the tame deer all over, a ton of birds and then the monkey. Downwards there were hundreds of birds, some deer and then some monkeys. We thought - let's go check it out! We walked on down and all these animals scattered. The birds were squawking and flying, the deer running and the monkeys disappeared. We walked around this area for a bit and it was just so bazaar. I mean an island with tons of monkeys, deer and birds. It's a strange combination. Here we were standing in the middle of all this wild life. We saw one monkey with it's baby hanging underneath it holding on as the momma walked around. It was so cute! While standing in this grassy knoll of wierdness, we notice a ferry. We then realized we actually didn't take a ferry to the island. We took some sort of boat, but it surely wasn't the ferry. Then we needed to make a decision - do we want to risk taking the ferry? What if it doesn't take us to the right port? If we didn't take the ferry, what was that boat we were on?!!!!
Departing from Kinkasan island safari, (kinkasan island below) we headed back down the steep hill. Then, as we are questioning what to do, this woman approaches us and points us to the boat we took there. $9.00 later - we're headed back to the mainland. It was just so comical that we don't know how we ended up on that boat in the first place and as soon as we reach the port they are waiting there for us yet again. It's like they spotted the gaijin, figured, yea they're headed to the island, why else would they be here and whisked us away.

The end. Not! you actually think my blog would be short? !!!!! After that, we went and picked up Katie & Akira from a trian station about 40 mins drive from where our port was. We got there about 30 mins early, so we took a short nap in Meg's car because we were knackered from the being up so early and doing some exercise. The four of us went camping! We got situated and went to the Supaa for food and went back. In all of Japan, it's illegal to have an open fire, so all the campgrounds have some sort of cooking facilities. Akira, being the great chef that he is - did most of the cooking for us. Again, we had an enjoyable dinner over drinks and conversation. Once we ran out of fire wood, we headed up to our tents to camp out in the freezing cold. Most people would think we're a little unusual for opting to camp out 5 minutes from Meg's warmer apartment. However, the little tent that Meg & I shared was not too cold once our body heat warmed it up a bit.

This brings me to today. I went grocery shopping at a bigger Supaa that is on the way home from Meg's to my town. I got home 15 minutes before I needed to head to a luncheon. I took a quick shower and headed out. This luncheon was a goodbye party for some Australian students that visited my town over the weekend. They came into my Junior High School on Friday which was really fun. Let me take you back to Friday:

I knew the students would be there - and I was really excited to have them. My town has a "sister city" in Victoria, Australia where in the summer, students from Monou go to Australia and at this time of the year some of the students from Australia come here. I went into Kocho Sensei's office and introduced myself to the students. All day consisted of events that the school wanted these students to bring home with them. I taught an English class with Mitsue. I helped the two girls introduce themselves in Japanese. After that, the students had to do the Haneko (I think they like laughing at us foreigners trying to dance) - however, I was on the opposite end this time! I was the teacher of this dance to one of the adult chaperones from Australia. I felt her agony and frustration trying to learn! Then, everyone got into a large circle and danced. The Australians were impressed with me because I could actually dance it. Hahaha. I loved telling the chaperones of some of my experiences here - they just kind of stare at me like i'm nuts. After that, I went into Hiromi's English class and helped out there. After lunch, it was "learn to make Japanese food" hour with the kids. In there, I go, with all the 9th graders, cooking. I learned how to make Sushi rolls - I'm pretty excited!

Short story of the cooking hour within the story of having Australian students in school:
I have this necklace that I bought in Australia and I wear it daily here. Often, kids comment on it and tell me how much they like it. My favorite punk boy that I always tell you about was in the cooking session. He pointed towards my neck area and was trying to say something. I figured he was talking about my necklace because I receive so many comments on it. No, I was wrong. I was wearing a V neck shirt. He outlined a V neck on his own neck and I looked down and realized he was talking about me. He continued to say to me, "sexy". Haha! I mean it was a V neck shirt, it showed no cleavage or anything! It's not like I could show cleavage if I wanted to!

Ok, so this hour was a lot of fun. I asked the boys if they thought the Australian girls were cute and they told me no because they are too tall. They said Japanese girls are cuter because they are small. I love it. I have alot of fun chatting with the 9th graders. They are the most friendly grade I believe.

After that I went into the special ed class because they work on learning Hiragana (Japanese syllabary) and I just go in for my own practice. The rest of the afternoon, I just sat around. Typical.

Yea, so I was invited to go the goodbye party lunch for these Australian kids today. I'm thinking it's Sunday and it's lunch. I think nothing of it and put on capris, a tank top and sandals. I walk into this lunch and all the men are wearing suits and ties and women in skirts. Ooops - don't I look like a fool. Then, I am seated with the two most important people in my town and the town next to mine. Even worse, the mayor of Ishinomaki came and introduced himself to me. All these men are dressed for a wedding and I'm in my most casual clothes you can wear. I felt like such an idiot and probably made a horrible first impression. Typical spoof for me! Anyways, I was sitting near one of the adult chaperones where I told her how I look like an idiot and this is just so typical for my life in Japan.

Being around these Australian kids and adults made me realize how far along I've come. They didn't understand anything, in fact, I felt more comfortable around my Japanese counterparts even though I can't really talk to them than I did with the westerners that I could have a delightful conversation with. I told the adult chaperone of my hardships and silly stories and she think i'm nuts for wanting to stay more than one year. I don't think she could imagine actually living here on her own, not being able to speak to anyone. She was impressed in "how comfortable" I seem in such an uncomfortable situation. She was clearly unsure how to act with the difference in culture, and the right way to do a few customary things, she just looked really awkward all the time. I'm positive I looked the same and I'm sure I look just as lost to those who have been here over a year. It felt good though, it felt good to be around westerners and to feel more close to Japanese people, it felt good to be a part of the community and not just a visitor like these people, it felt good to feel comfortable in uncomfortable situations, it felt good to be the person people came to for help. As bitter as I was starting to grow towards my car situation and as bitter as I sort of am towards my millions of different schools that I'm in - I'm trying to be as positive about things.

Alright my PA announcement telling me that "it's almost 9:00" is going off. I think maybe i'll start reading or something. Ideally I'd like to be in bed early to run in the morning. Hope ya'all had a wonderful weekend.

Sara Sensei

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww sara i loved your blog, it took me about a week to read cause i'm so busy but i finially finished and it was wonderful.. miss you dearly