Monday, September 11, 2006

Lost in Translation

I thought I'd just write a quick blog about how easy it is to be lost in translation. Today, I went to an elementary school. The principal gave a speech about me and also tried translating it for me. While, I am not poking fun at him regarding his translation, since I had a hard copy, I thought I would share it with all of you to see how easy it is to get "lost in translation." I must commend this man and I am completely honored at what he dug up about little old Lockport. It is really touching.

Boys and Girls. Good Morning.

I introduce Sara teacher who got it as assistant language teacher in the Wabuti Elementary School. Teacher Sara is from American Rockport (that's how it translates since there is no L & R in Japanese Syllabary), New York. For the friend who doesn't understand well even if it is said Rockport, I think that saying as the town near the Niagara Falls is more comprehensible. In the Rockport city, the canal in the Great Lakes where Erie and Hudson River. The Rockport city, overflown in water and green. The Rockport is overflown as much as Wabuti in water and green. In the movie of which the theme is New York of winter, there is a scene to which steam leaks from the road. The experiment on the district heating system is started in 1877 (For 130 years from now ago) in Rockport.

You must recall Rockport where teacher Sara was born whenever you see the movie in New York of winter. If it was said Rockport, the Dr. William Morgan who had invented volleyball was born in Rockport, too. You know the Niagara Falls and steam in New York of the winter, and volleyballs, well, I think Rockport became familiar too.

Teacher Sara just graduated from the university. Leaving the hometown though the age is young and living are serious. Be nice so that teacher Sara should not become homesickness I hope you and please teach a lot as for the Japan Wabuti district Ishinomaki City.

Teacher Sara, Children in the Wabuti Elementary school are gentle. Please relieved and enjoy the life of Wabutchi Ishinomaki City And please come to like people and nature in Japan Wabutchi Ishinomaki City.

The talk that Principal Sasaki introduces teacher Sara is ended by thing. Then, let's have teacher Sara greet it.

Other interesting points of my day:
  • 5th and 6th graders did a dance for me
  • A girl welcomed me to Japan in English
  • By 11:00 I drank 4 cups of coffee
  • The first grade teacher was like a drill seargent, even I was scared of her!
  • A boy in first grade kept lifting up my pants and trying to lift my shirt up
  • At lunch, I ate with 4th graders and they kept making their hands into foxes and biting me with their fingers
  • They laughed at me for eating peanut butter and jelly
  • A boy was wearing a shirt that said "black gang" in English
  • The teachers held a welcoming party for me with tons of food and tea!

There you have it - the day consisted of more self introductions, and learning fruits and vegetables and types of vehicles. Typical day - so i thought you'd get more of a kick out of this!

Have a good one!

2 comments:

ollie said...

Very touching to think someone took the time to learn about our 'rockport'.
Are you able to show them the postcards I've forwarded?
Much love, AA

Anonymous said...

hey sarah-san

check out engrish.com for more of those. Sounds like you're having a great time, my lifes pickin up a bit. I also live off peanut butter and jelly since moving expenses are really starting to add up. Oh well, chin up, rice down, swirl it all around

Jonnie Dola$