Thursday, August 03, 2006


Welcome to my Blog!


Welcome to my blog - I thought I'd start one so that people can follow my journey in Japan as they wish. I don't really know how often I'll update or if I'll continue with this but hey - i'll give it a shot.

I made it to Boston just fine. Aside from the backache and the bruises (see picture of my arm)that I managed to get by having to carry about 130 pounds total of luggage by myself throughout Logan airport, I'm here and I'm fine. Lesson #1 I learned today. Life is just like college in that I felt like I was experiencing a multiple choice exam today. My hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport. Now, I no longer have a cell phone, so I had to use the complimentary one that my hotel provides. Wow, great idea, right? Wrong. The genious that installed these phones, placed them directly under the intercom speaker. As a result, I could not hear a single word the person on the other end of the phone was saying to me. I figure, well she heard me so I'll just go stand outside and look for the marked van that says "Holiday Inn Express". I go outside and there are 6 lanes to choose from. I'm college educated - I think I can figure out which lane to go to. I look up and read all the signs to choose from. Here is where life turned into a multiple choice test. Each sign could be manipulated into where a hotel shuttle may go to in order to pick you up. For example, would you choose "airport shuttle" or "scheduled group pick up"? If you chose either, you're wrong. Or would you choose, "airport transportation" or "rentals"? Well, if you chose rentals you're the million dollar winner! I easily eliminated "taxi" and "car pick up". So, you can see, it was quite the similiar situation to a multiple choice exam - and i failed. I stood out there for 45 minutes, choosing all 4 signs to stand under. I then took my overweight bags back into Logan to use a pay phone that was about a five minute walk so that I could actually hear the woman on the other end of the phone to find out where I needed to go and to find out that my van was not marked with my hotel, but with another one. Great customer service, Holiday Inn Express...

As mentioned, I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express and my first intentions were to be a tourist in Boston today, but they no longer offer a free shuttle into the city. They offer free internet connection to hook up my computer, but they don't provide me with a shuttle to see a beautiful city. Does anyone else see something wrong with this? I walked to dinner and had an enjoyable soup and salad. I spoke with a Cuban exile who is enthralled that he can go back to Cuba soon (maybe) and gave me directions into the city tomorrow. He was a pleasant man and contributed nice companionship for my dinner up at the bar.

The bartender overheard my conversation with Mr. Cuba about my journey ahead. He, himself has just dropped out of the peacecorp. He was supposed to leave in March - but does not want to leave his boyfriend or his sister who is having a baby. The good-looking bartender asked for other international opportunities, which then turned into the woman next to me wanting to know more. Her daugher is an unemployed teacher who would also be interested in these opportunities. A short time later, I had written down the programs that I am knowledgeable for these interested folks, paid my $12.00 bill + $3.00 tip and walked on back to the hotel. On my way, I remembered why I loved Australia so much - I love meeting and talking to new people. And hey, maybe that bartender or that woman's daughter will look into my suggestions and possibly I started a new journey for them.

Sara Sensei

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Sara! This is your first step to becoming a travel writer! I can definitely see you as one. I feel like I am traveling along with you. Keep up the good work girlie...I'll be looking forward to reading more! =)

Anonymous said...

sara that was very exciting, i'm glad you're having so much fun already and you're not even there yet! i'm so happy for you! and i hope you have tons of fun on your journey!

Anonymous said...

I need an answer to this question because I don't trust google. Is it factual that the fish markets actually AUCTION off the fish they catch? Also, I need a picture of a bansai garden...don't ask why, just deliver.

ollie said...

Kiss kiss your boo-boo. And as my Mom used to say, "Angels will make it better".

Sara,

I have to say I'm in awe of you and your adventurous spirit. I KNOW what does not kill you will make you stronger, and you certainly are proof of that. I wish you only the best in your efforts to learn and adjust as quickly as possible. I'm sure with the support of the Japanese people, you'll learn much quicker than you ever imagined. It really forces you to learn by not having a constant buddy to rely upon for communication.
I'll say a special prayer for you and when Uncle Charlie and I look to the stars, I'll be thinking of you too. YOUR INCREDIBLE!!!!
Love you honey, Aunt Alice xoxoxox & xoxoxoxo more!
Wrap your arms around your shoulder and squeeze tight........that's my long hug. xo
Have you brought out the 'ring'?... thats how far I am from you.

ollie said...

Sara, This is my first attempt at a blog, let me know if you receive it. Thanks. Aunt Alice