Monday, August 28, 2006

Week #3

I haven't written in about 5 days, which is good and bad. Thursday and Friday really consisted of me just hanging out at my JHS (Junior High School) - not doing too much of anything. Saijo-san took me to get the internet, which I couldn't understand how to connect to in my house simply beacause I can't read the instruction on how to hook it up myself at my house. Mitsue tried to come over to help but she didn't really understand it either. It ended up that Yosco took my computer and all the parts to the computer store and they did it for me. I just got the internet in my apartment now. I suddenly feel like east meets west. It feels good that I am not so isolated. I now have a landline (please call!) and the internet. I can't even explain the relief these two modern inventions brings to my whacked brain. I am downloading this program called Skype where I can call other computers with it for free...so if you want to chat with me, download it on your computer, buy a headset and we can talk for FREE!
Check it out:
http://www.skype.com/

And those of you who are just scared of technology or do not want to do this I can call you for TWO CENTS a minute. Can you believe those rates? Anyways, I need to get to a city to purchase myself a headset.

My weekend was pretty decent. On Friday, another ALT (Alternative Language Teacher) tried to come pick me up so I could spend the night at her place to go hiking on Saturday. Now, since she has never been to my town, she was well prepared to get lost. The plan was - I wait at my post office until 7:00, if she does not show up, I will go back to my house so she can call me. I get to the post office and realize, yea I have no watch, so I don't know if it is 7:00 or not. I see a woman across the street, I cross the road and communicate:
"sumimasen" excuse me
"do you know what time it is?" pointing at my wrist where a watch would be.
woman: "something in japanese" - goes into her house and comes out and says "nana"
"nana?" seven?
"hai"!
"Then, many questions to follow, so when I don't know what is being asked of me, just repeat my 5 lines of japanese:
watashi wa sara desu
watashi wa amerika no new york shu kara keymashte
watashi wa eigo sensei monou
needless to say, she continues to ask more questions in which I cannot answer. She asked where in monou I lived i think, so i explained through pointing and stuff...
anyways, my 1 minute question of what time is it turned into 5 minutes of broken conversation. I walked back to my house to wait for the other ALT to call. However, Mitsue called and explained that the other ALT got lost and that Mitsue would take me to her. Into her vehicle I go. Sarah, the other ALT, got lost and stopped at a random person's home to call. Another example of how kind the Japanese are; they let a completely random foreign stranger into their home to use their phone. Sarah said they kept trying to feed her and stuff. Thankful for Sarah, she's been here for a year already so has conversational Japanese abilities. Sarah and Sara (me) went to a community center where we played basketball with 3 of her Japanese friends. I've never been one for basketball (seeing i'm so tall and all) - but I had a bunch of fun. I stepped out with one of the guys and had a small conversation with him. We knew a bit of English and I knew a bit of Japanese so we could actually talk! When I left there, I felt amazing because I know two weeks ago I could never have pieced together questions and sentences, even if it were broken Japanese to talk to him. YATTA! (I did it!). I spent the night at Sarah's because we were going hiking the next day and we needed to meet the rest at 5:30am..and again with no car, I am reliant on others.

Saturday 5:30am.
Ishinomaki- shi
Destination: Asahi Mountain Range which divides Yamagata Ken and Niigata - Ken.

We make it to Ishinomaki bright and early to meet the others to hike. I saw a gorgeous sunrise. It reminds me of Rainbow Sherbet. It was pink, orange, and yellow colors escaping the ground and rising to the sky. There were 8 of us altogether. Suzuki-san and his old friend were our "leaders". These are two older men who go to an English conversation class and often arrange hikes. There was Sarah and I, Brian, Meghann, Dom, and Mandy (all of us ALTs). We crammed into one SUV car and started the trek to the trailhead. It was approximately 3 hours drive to get there. Mostly everyone slept on the way, but I was crammed in the middle and was more of a pillow for the others than anything else. I was grateful to be awake, however, the landscaping was fascinating. I always appreciate driving through the Adirondacks, but these mountains have different greenery, so lush, so alive. One isn't more beautiful than the other, it's just different. We arrive at the trailhead and start the hike. At first you follow a short stream and then begin the ascent. At first, it was difficult because there were 8 of us. Thankfully, we split up into "group a" and "group b". I was in Group A - which we naturally formed into by our abilities. A was the faster, quicker paced group, while B followed in about 20 - 30 minutes behind us. We always had "stopping points" to meet. It was funny because Suzuki san and his friend had bells on to "scare away" the bears. They also had amazing equipment. According to Sarah, who has been here for a year, Japanese are all about the equipment. You'll be on the ski slopes and see the most expensive get-up on the Japanese and then they completely suck at skiing. She is very informative and kind. This hike consisted of a round circle trail where we summit two high peaks. The majority of the way was covered by alluring trees and ferns and unique wildlife calls. Then, we finally made it to the first peak. This is called Mount Kodera in which summits out at 1500 meters or 4500 feet ( I think?). When we first arrived to this peak, there were many older Japanese people eating their lunch. They were having a picnic right there on the summit complete with sitting blankets, stoves for each of them and all this other camping equipment. The views at first weren't so noticeeable because there was a cloud cover. But then, the skies cleared and revealed the divine beauty of this particular hike. To one side, was a large valley, just falling and falling into the ground, and straight ahead of us was the next mountain we were going to summit. There was SNOW! yes, snow in crevices between the mountains. It was truly astounding for the first summit.


I don't know if you have ever noticed in movies where they display Japanese scenery and how that scenery has little trails on the mountain. Well, that is exactly how these trails were. You look ahead and you see these little brown footpaths leading you over the top of these mountains along exquisite ridges. It should be mentioned that there were men and women, at least 65 years old completing these trails. Even more noteable is that our "leaders" were both 57 years old in better shape than some of us "followers". These trails were STEEP. Some of it is literally a vertical incline, where your body is like a right triangle trying to balance your way up these protruding pieces of earth. And then you see these old women, doing it, with barely any sweat. I aspire to be like that at their age. I don't want to fail to mention they are carrying packs half the size of them and just smiling and chatting their way together. Heroic.

Below: Group A summiting the first peak at 4500 Feet. The word of the day: DRAGON FLIES! Dragon flies surrounded us everywhere. Suzuki san gave us a n assignment for the day and that was to create a Haiku for the day. Those that are unfamiliar with Haiku's - they are poems that Japanese used to create while hiking from the inspiration earth gave them. They need to be in syllables of
5
7
5
So, the entire day I was trying to figure that one out.

After about another 30 minutes we reached the summit of the second and most highest peak we were going to reach that day. This view again was completely cloud covered when we first arrived. Group A sat down and just relaxed until group B arrived. The second summit is called Mount. Koasahi. This stands for "little Koasahi" I think. The bigger Asahi Mountain was in the distance, but we would not be going there today. Mount Koasahi stands up at 1647 meters (almost 5000 feet). When it finally cleared, the view treated our eyes and souls to even more exquisite views. Truly, my words nor my pictures could capture what I viewed. More importantly, I don't think I could ever make you feel the way I did viewing this. I can only try to relay to you the beauties of this country.Above: The snow "cracks" of the mountain range. I truly wanted a sled to just go WHHHEEE on.

We all had lunch on this peak before breaking up into our groups again. We started the descent here. There was a fork in the road, you could either take the loops to go back to the car park or you could keep on the trail. Unfortunately, the way to keep exploring is a several day hike, so we went the loop way. In the distance, on the next highest mountain, you can see a mountain hut where many people stay for free. I plan on staying in some in my time. It was really incredible to see in the distance . They are supplied by the government for free and has water and shelter and the basic amenities of survival. Cool very cool....
Below:
Group shot at the summit
Middle:
Enjoying lunch with Brian and Sarah
Bottom: Brian has some crazy glasses and shoes, ha


Yes, so proceeding lunch we began our descent of the loop. At first, it wasn't too tolling on the knees, but then it was difficult. I didn't have the proper shoes (I never do, Jon will testify to that)...so I was slipping and sliding all over. I was pretty nervous I'd fall off the ridge, as was Meghann. I kept repeating the quote from The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac....it goes something along the lines of "I then realized, I can't fall off a mountain, only down". So, I was repeating this to Meg, not only to encourage her to keep going, but also for my own nerves. We were serenaded by Dom often singing about his "big stick" and other random tunes. Get your mind out of the gutter, his big hiking stick! We witnessed Brian's "dance", understood Meg's fear of poisonous snakes, and learned of the high school teachers and college professer's we found worthy of "relationships." Politics were discusses, authors, friends, stories, etc. The trail was surely interesting. One minute, we're following a stony ridge line that we are scared to fall off of, then we are surrounded by a few open spots, then, there are sandbags, boardwalks, and walking down clay like earth that probably once was a creek. Our conversations were as different as the different trails. My most favorite part of this entire hike was the ropes. We needed to use ropes, how fun! Do see pictures of me roping on down. Eventually group A split into two, Brian and me and then Meg and Dom following up. Brian is a pretty quiet person - at least around me , and to be honest, i havent' opened up too much to anyone here, except maybe Meg. Yet, I haven't really been myself 100%. It was nice because we both kind of watched each other slip and slide around and then make comments on the beauty of certain things we came across. For the most part though, I think we just enjoyed what nature had to offer without worrying about the small talk. Forced conversation can be awkward and ruin things - so I'm glad we weren't trying to do that. We came across some small waterfalls, nothing extraodinary but soothing to listen to the water run. We were losing elevation quickly here. Soon, we were walking alongside a very dry stream. It was still running but not too much water...probably cause it's soooo hot all the time. We got to cross a few manmade bridges and one really scary bridge that was just like a tin plank over a deep crevice with wire - like things to hang on to. I didn't care for it too much. Brian and I made it out first followed by Suzuki - san's friend. We followed the paved road down about 5 minutes expecting to find the car park. When, alas, there was NO parking lot. We look at the "you are here" sign and realize, we missed a turn somewhere. Our car was probably a good 2 hour hike away. It was at this point probably 5pm. We only have about another 1.5 hours of sunlight. We had just hiked for 8 hours and I'm not going to lie, I was tired and sore. Suzuki - san's friend decided to walk the 4.5 KMs to town to try to catch a ride to the car. He told us to stay where we were to inform everyone the deal. Coming up were Dom and Meg, so we informed them. Then, about an hour or 45 minutes later we then explained to the rear, Mandy, Sarah and Suzuki - san what was going on. After splitting up the remaining food and water we had left, we just sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Then, Suzuki - san decided to hitchhike to the car. So, both our leaders at this point had left. Eventually, Suzuki's friend returned and we told him that Suzuki - san had hitchhiked to the car. About 45 minutes after Suzuki left, he returned to our rescue. At this point, it was pitch dark, about 7:30 and we were starving. It was such an adventure.




We're stranded cause we can't read a map. Food, water, anyone????




After that, we went to an onsen. Does anyone know what an onsen is? It is uniquely Japanese and it is literally translated as "hot spring." The water is extracted (according to wikipedia) from natural volcanic hot water. The minerals in this water is believed to have amazing rejuvenating minerals for your skin. It's basically a big hot tub. Sounds great, right? Well, it is. But, how comfortable are you with your body? I hope if you plan to go in one, you are comfortable because you get 100% naked in front of everyone that is in there. So, yes, that's right I got 100% naked in front of other people. You kind of just go and do it. You don't really think about it, I mean everyone is naked, not just you. I was really happy when it turned out just to be the 4 of us westerners in there. It didn't make it so hard walking into this room where you sit down on these little stools and wash your body in front of everyone. Except, thankfully, we were the only ones, so it was just us, who already know eachother. You basically, get naked, put your clothes in a bin, walk into the onsen room, where there are showers. You squat onto those stools, wash your body completely, because it is rude to enter an onsen with all your dirt on your body because then you dirty the volcanic water. Then, you walk over, and go into this extremely, overly hot water. It was really nice after a 12 hour hike. This particular onsen is separated male and female, however, not all are. So yes, I had my first onsen experience and it was lovely. I do think that if there were already people sitting in the water, I would have been more self conscientous about being naked and walking around.

MY HAIKU:
Stomping and Tromping
Through Asahi Mountain Range
My feet never stay still

Pretty pathetic...but it's true =0)

That's my story. I think Saturday was the best day I've had here. I loved it. All new experiences and all wonderful experiences.

Sunday:
Slept for 11 hours. Woke up. Have some sort of rash/mosquite bite/poison ivy thing going on all over my legs. My legs look like I have the chicken pox. It itches, it's gross! Well, who wants to dwell on negative things. Even though I was so sore I could barely move, I had to get out of my house, so onto my bike I went. Of course, right? I saw this mountain in the distance that I thought would be sweet to find. I went onto my bike path and down into the paddies and headed STRAIGHT to the mountain. Barrier #1 - I reached a river. I backtracked and went around the river, over a bridge and to the right. I rode on the street, rode and rode and rode. I saw a few spots that looked like maybe they could be trails. I thought I'd catch them on my way back. I reached...the thruway. I couldnt for the life of me, see that mountain anymore because they were all around me and I couldn't see up to see the one that had a trail. I backtracked again. I checked out the spots that looked like trails. Nothing but clearings and one old rickety bridge that was scary. With a rash all over me, I decided I probably shouldn't tredge through those bushes today since it might be poison ivy or something. Since I was in another town, I tried finding maybe something else to do, but I found nothing. I then went back into town to go into stores that I have no idea what they are. I found a store and looked up how to say mosquite bite and anti itch creme. I got mosquite bite and then imitated the itch on my arm and showed my hideous rash to the cashier. I got some "creme". I'm pretty sure it's just bengay or icy/hot because I can smell the menthol and it only numbs my legs and then continues to itch after some time. I went to the grocery store and bought some ingredients to make mac and cheese and a milkshake. I bought some "inside" shoes and sponges. I really just go to stores to purchase items for the mere interaction I get at the cash register. That's how lonely I am. Pathetic! I went home, called Meg to see if she had this rash, which she does not. I then tried making a milkshake but it surely did not work out for me. Then, I started reading on my couch. I fell asleep for hours. I woke up completely out of it. Made Mac n Cheese and continued to read. I practiced my speech for today and went to bed.

Monday

One year ago today, I was nervous because I had to give my first speech as an RA in front of the 30 girls that were now going to be under my supervision. I hated public speaking. I actually was nervous because my RD who I had only known for a week came and listened to mine out of all the RAs she could have gone to hear talk. I was so happy for that to be over. Well, man, today, I had to give a speech in front of the 250 students and all the other teachers and principals in Japanese. Talk about nerve whacking. I actually did pretty well. The principal talked about me a bit saying that my predecessor went back to Australia and that I would be here to stay for some time. I then had a boy come up and say to me in Japanese, welcome to our school, we are very excited to learn English and some other stuff that I forgot. I had someone translating to me while this was going on. So, then it was me and 500 eyeballs staring at me....so I grabbed the microphone, took a deep breathe, put on a smile and did it. I did my one line of Japanese and translated myself into English, I did about 10 lines. I forgot my last two. I'm no dummy - I had my index card up there to save my bum. Either way, I was proud of myself. I did it. My Japanese Teacher of English who has been sick complimented me on how well I have learned Japanese in just the one week that she has not seen me. It definitely helped with my confidence. She told me her daughter told her that she was dreaming of me and wants me to come play with her again. I was touched. The day then went by okay. I spent one hour in Yosco's classroom. She wants me to create an "English Corner" about the USA in her class. She showed me the space I have to work with. I will do that tomorrow. When holidays come around, I want to definitely use that space to educate about our holidays and cultures. I can't wait for Halloween!!!! I have tons of pictures from last Halloween I will print out to hang. It's going to be heaps of fun! I played a memory game with two of her students with the alphabet. I won. hahahaha! I'm so mean; but i literally wasn't trying to. Yosco forgot a lunch so I shared with her half of my left over mac and cheese. She liked it alot. I ate with Mitsue's classroom. They asked me questions like my favorite food, if I have a boyfriend, where I am from, etc. I shared with them my mac and cheese too. The afternoon went by slowly. I actually am not doing any teaching for another week. I can't believe I'm getting paid for this.

Anyways, I'm still confused all the time and things are falling into place really slowly...but it's happening, I'm living out my dream and I am struggling but succeeding with every failure. I hope ya'all enjoy reading this because I spent like 2.5 hour writing it. =0)

Sara Sensei

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asahi.... like the beer? And those hot springs, I've def. heard about. They sound excellent, and not for the reasons you think I think they sound excellent.

Anonymous said...

sara i miss you! and i love hearing all of your stories! it sounds like you're adjusting pretty well and i hope you're having tons of fun!! love you my favorite wife!

Anonymous said...

Just for your info, the haiku is great Missy! Trust me. I am, well was, an English major and will soon be an English teacher (hopefully). It is very deep and metaphoric if you think of the (supposedly) common saying that if you are a traveler, you always have itchy feet (meaning you're always on the go or wanting to new ground to be beneath your feet). You're officially a poet who didn't know it!

(Hehehe...couldn't resist that one...)

ollie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ollie said...

You're fantastic & the sights I can see are hard for words. WOW!! Thank you for your interesting updates. Love, Aunt Alice