Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Well, this morning ended up not being anything too interesting. The “trail” led to not much of anything. It was different - it had some really old swings and slides just strewn up on the hill. Then, there were some picnic areas which would be nice to go to if i had someone to eat with. I walked and then came across someone's rice paddies. They were out in the field working. Oh yea, I'm still slightly jetlagged so I've been waking up around 6:30 every morning. I was out there pretty early. When i circled around that area, I decided to head in the opposite direction. Again, not too much to look at. I came across the waste plant. It was kind of eerie. During the work break they play some creepy music. Then on the other side of the trail I just heard nature sounds, like crickets and frogs, etc. The two combined while being in a foreign place made me feel like I was in some movie. I turned around to head back since it didn't really seem like I was going anywhere great. At some point a man drove past me on his scooter. We exchanged smiles. Later, I caught up to him, when he saw me, he ran to me and said mushroom in Japanese. In his hands, he had mushrooms the size of my head . He was going around this trail picking mushrooms. The excitement he displayed showing me his mushrooms is one of the reasons my day was good. After that, I went back to my house and showered. I decided to read since I was kind of bored. I was reading my Nicholas Sparks book and soon fell asleep. I woke up feeling pretty lonely and I really just wanted to hear a familiar voice (someone that I didn't need to talk snail speed with and could have a meaningful conversation with since they understand the words I'm using or vice versa). So, I hopped onto Bakusetta-san (I decided to name my bike that, it means “basket” in Japanese) and tried searching for a phone booth to see if my domestic phone card would work. I only found one pay phone and it was broken. I ended up getting a bit lost. I found a part of my village that is just so poverty-stricken. Again, I couldn't believe I am in a 1st world country. These women that were working were probably 80 years old, no teeth, completely hunched over and working in the rain (i got lost in the rain). Their yards are just strewn with garbage and their houses are old and rickety. Very bazaar. For the most part, I'm just stared at.

I finally found my way back and set up my laptop in my living room and watched Seinfeld DVDs to make me a bit less bored. Thankfully, Yosco (the music teacher) called me and asked me if i had plans tonight. She came by and picked me up and I went to her house. She made me Udon noodles which was soooo amazingly delicious. Honestly, tonight was the best food that I had. Her husband was really funny – he was getting drunk on Canadian Club Whiskey and trying to convert to English with his translator. I met her daughter, Yoshimi, who is my age -23 and her son who is 17. They dressed me up in Japanese attire. It is similar to a Kimono, but it wasn't one. I have pictures and hopefully they'll be up.

After dinner, she took me to the street festival in her town (I don't' think any of the teachers live in Monou). It was really great, I mean I am REALLY seeing this culture. For the most part, it was just street vendors and stuff. But, I got to experience this one custom. When the Japanese move into a new house, as part of their superstition or maybe religion, they throw rice cakes, other food, and coins out their window. I didn't catch any, but Yosco caught two and then a woman gave us two of hers (I think because of me). Rice cakes aren't rice cakes as you think of them. It's like a doughy outside, very chewy and then on the inside they put this red bean paste. It's not too bad. Just really chewy. After that, I watched 4 Japanese break dancers. They were pretty damn good. Yosco then purchased this popular crushed ice beverage for us to share. She said all the kids in Japan love it. I met quite a few people and was of course stared at a lot. The last thing we did at the carnival was go see this guitarist man. Yosco said I was from Amerika and so he played me the Bob Dylan song, “hoooowww mannny roads must a man walk dooowwwn, before you can call him a amaaann” then after that he played Simon & Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair. He was a jolly old man and ended with a Japanese song. I loved it. I am so thankful that these teachers are so kind and actually showing me their culture.

Today was kind of a hard day for me, but it ended wonderful. Yosco is a really unique woman. It's so interesting that I am becoming friends with people the age of my mom. I feel like a professional. Ha! I made a video of my house, hopefully I can figure how to get that onto blogspot too. I can't wait to get the internet. Yosco told me I was incorrect with the population of 8500 here. There's actually only 5000 people in this village. 5000 people. There isn't even a bar in town. Oh yea! That brings me to another point. In my previous job as an RA, we are told that we are role models and that anything we say and do that may possibly discredit us in that position should not be done. Now as a big fan of partying, I often had a hard time “hiding” who i really was. I love beer, i love the bars, i love being stupid and drunk. Well, that was just a prereq to the requirements here. I am a government employee in a male dominated society. This means I do NOT drink, I do NOT do anything in the public that is bad. So, until I really get to know my co-workers I can't even go into my local liquor shop and buy myself some alcohol because “women should not be drinking.” This town is so small that it would get back. The other day I was riding Basuketta – san around and i never discussed that bike ride with any co-workers. Well, Hiromi said “i heard you were riding your bike around today”. I was gossiped about for riding my bike. Imagine if I went into the liquor store? I went to a workshop at my orientation that was called “living in japan as a female” Basically, it was a workshop so women can understand the culture better and how to be more culturally sensitive. One girl told us a story about how her boyfriend came to visit. They were holding hands walking around town. The next day, her supervisor reprimanded her because that was inappropriate public behavior for this position. Holding hands in public is inappropriate? My goodness. So, I desire some wine for myself but I guess I need to wait a bit until I can drive my car to go to the next village over or feel out my co-workers. Mitsue (the 24 year old teacher) told me she does not drink. I had a beer with Hiromi's husband and Yosco asked me today if I drink. I told all three of them that I am a social drinker, which needed some explaining. I told them I don't like to drink by myself but with other people. Hopefully they understood and do not take me for a drunk. Ok, I'm going to read until I fall asleep. Hiromi is picking me up in the morning to go to her in-laws house so I can partake in some more cultural fun =)

Thank you Yosco for making my day better and reminding me why I am in Japan (which surely is not to sit in my house by myself).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea Sara! I am so happy your blog is up and running! It is wonderful reading in detail your experiences. Keep up the positive attitude and I promise another email is coming soon - perhaps this weekend. Miss you tons! =) Love ya, Erin.

Anonymous said...

oh sara, yes, Japan is certainly mail dominated, men go to work, then wifey waits on them all night long....God Bless America...we could always send you some hooch, but not sure if that would work either. You'll just have to go to the next town and buy it when you can, maybe you can order it over the internet and get a delivery???
keep a postive attitude as you are, you are quite open minded and are a wordly traveler...the japenese are highly disciplined, and can be quite stern but they are also very intelligent and they are caring.Diversity is not their strong point, again, GOD BLESS AMERICA!! Hang in there, it's just their culture. So far so good it seems, you'll get there, it truly is another planet.

Lisa S

Anonymous said...

Sara, I truly enjoy reading all your info on Japan. You make me feel as though I am right there with you. Keep your chin up, give yourself time to adapt. So far you are doing great. You are a fantastic, caring person. They are lucky to have you but I miss you. Thanks for keeping in touch, I'm always thinking of you. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Sara,
I think that looks beautiful on you!!! I am glad that you are doing so well and I love reading all about your events and travels. Miss you and Have FUN!!!
Love ya
Jen