Wednesday, July 16, 2008

emotions

I finally lost all control of my emotions and cried tonight. It was the farewell party for my adult class and I couldn't hold it in anymore. When I left Plattsburgh nearly two years ago, I felt so full of life and happy. I came to Japan and felt that I lost a lot of that. But, as I am leaving Japan, it's true, I am again, full of life and happy. I didn't think I could find such real and good friendship as I had found in Plattsburgh. But, I did...I found it in my students, my young students and especially my adult students, I found it in the other foreign English teachers this year, I've built it with other Japanese people who mean so much to me, my friend Yumie, my Japanese tutor, my ikebana teacher and co-student, the people at the board of education who help me...the list goes on and on. I always looked at my photos from the end of my life in Plattsburgh as a student and felt that I was looking at a truly happy Sara. Now, I look at the photos I am taking now...with my students, with my friends with everyone around me.....and I see a truly happy Sara again. I made the best decision of my life by staying for a second year in Japan...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The first post you had was a tough learning curve, but you were at a state that allowed you to really enjoy your experience for the second year. You gotten something in your two years that most people never do. We spend it just getting through the day to day stuff looking forward to weekends and holidays and family. You've had many new sights and sounds and events to enjoy!!!! and remember!

Chris Schaefer Rochester NY

Unknown said...

i'm so proud of you for dof doing this! i would love to pack up and move to another country for a few years but i would never be able to. The fact that you did it is simply amazing and something that most people will never experience. i was reading some of your blogs from the beginning and its amazing how far you've come! I can't wait to see you next week though! take care and have a safe trip home!