Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Health Insurance

In the past month, the never-ending debate regarding providing National Health Insurance to American citizens by the government has been floating in and out of my thoughts. This subject hit home to me when I was back in America visiting and realized that if anything happened to me, I had no health insurance. That's a scary thought when I spent some of my trip in the mountains hiking, engaging in risky behavior. I realized I feel a bit trapped by the fact I don't have health insurance. Because of this - it seems whatever I want to do with my future has to provide me some sort of health benefits. When I want to do some non-profit work or volunteer work, it seems like that's not even feasible. I envy the UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, etc that have National Health Insurance for their citizens. Like really, they can go galavant around wherever they please without having to wonder, "what if something happens to me, I need to take out travel insurance,etc" I've talked to some friends of mine whom are floating around from temp job to temp job. I've heard horror stories of people breaking their arms and owing thousands and thousands of dollars to the hospital because they have no insurance. I've talked to others who are pretty sure they needed to be on crutches but didn't bother going to the hospital because they have no insurance. How crazy is it that we live in a first world country and my friends can't even get the proper medical help they need? It certainly doesn't help when our president is spending as much as he pleases on a stupid war but vetoes health care for children on the grounds that it "costs too much". Maybe before killing our citizens off in a war that was started on false grounds, we should take measures to help lives in our own country first.

I rant this much because I have had bronchitis. I've gone to the doctor three times. Guess how much it costs me to go to the doctor in Japan? One doctor visit cost me the equivalent of $3.16 US Dollars. Let me spell that out for you. Three dollars and sixteen cents!!!!!!! And my prescription? $4.62 for THREE prescriptions! Imagine that health care. That's why I'm ranting because it just blew my mind how cheap health care is here and how amazing it is that everyone has it. Even me, a temporary citizen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i agree, i was scared to do anything when I had no insurance, it sucked. andrea had to pay thousands of dollars for her broken arm when she had no insurance, she'll probably be paying off that bill for a while.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit health care for the nation will be a big factor in who I will vote for. It may be hard to get something through the medical Pharmaceutical companies lobbying, but it's embarrassing that in this day and age in America we have children and working adults without health care. When politicians say they want to improve jobs and the economy, reducing employee health insurance cost is one, if not the best way to keep manufacturing in America and make us competative in the global economy.
Aunt Chris, Rochester NY

Unknown said...

if you want to see something crazy watch the movie sicko.. i just watched it and its insane how awful our system is here... i had to go to the hospital last night and the first thing i said to my mom is how much is this going to cost me?? and i HAVE health insurance... its kind of sad when thats the first thought that goes through your mind when you're sick!