Monday, February 19, 2007

January Activities Part 2

A Speech

Do you remember when I did English Haiku's way back in October? I met an English Professor from a nearby University who I have been keeping in contact with. He invited me to be a guest speaker at the International Organization I have mentioned in the past. We would be discussing together the confusion a newcomer to Japan has with words the Japanese language has integrated into Japan. He would be the main presenter – and I the evidence and proof of his theory. I accepted and made my speech on Sunday the 28th.

The material of the speech was something called katakana-go. Katakana is one of the three syllabaries that Japan uses for reading and writing. This syllabary is strictly for the use of foreign used words that have weaseled their way into the Japanese language. There is an actual board of people that decide which words will make it into the language and how they will be pronounced/spelled. So, for example, since I am a foreigner - my name is written in Katakana. America, ramen, computer, banana, etc are all also examples that would be written in Katakana.


I just spend the last 30 minutes trying to figure out a way to type in the different Japanese characters on my computer. I failed so I can't show you examples. Instead, I will teach you about Katakana-go and how it can be confusing.

Some of my favorites:
Japanese Word
Manshyon
English word it sounds like
Mansion

What it means in Japanese - apartment building
What it means in English - a very, large, expensive home

With this word - I told a story about when I first heard the word. I was with a Japanese man and he pointed out his apartment building and said to me "This is my mansion." I started laughing at him because I thought he was making a joke. When he didn't laugh back - I didn't understand how someone could mix up apartment with mansion and wondered who his horrible English teacher was. Little did I know - that he was actually using the Japanese word of Manshyon - and he meant apartment building.


Japanese word - Atakku
English word - Attack
Japanese meaning - to attempt
English meaning - to set upon in a forceful, violent, hostile, or aggressive way, with or without a weapon; begin fighting with

The story (which is true!) that I told that goes with this one involves another ALT. He was interested in a girl and some of his Japanese students told him to atakku her. Not knowing the meaning - it sure sounds like a rather violent request over having a crush on a person!

Other examples for you -

Japanese word - faito
English word - Fight
J - meaning - give it your all
E - meaning - a battle or combat

J - Word Yankii
E- Word Yankee
J - Meaning - a delinquent youth
E- meaning - a person from the North in the USA

J - word sunakku
E -word - Snack bar
J - meaning - a Japanese bar where a person pays a lot to have women pours you drinks
E- meaning - Where a person goes to get a hotdog or milkshake

J- Word tureina
E- word Trainer
J meaning - sweatshirt
E - meaning Shoes

J - Word sumat-to*
E - word Smart
J meaning thin/hot/nice/body
E - meaning intelligient

*This is one case where you would not want to call your students smart!

You can see how confusing it could be to understand only a few Japanese words - then hear one of these katakana words and how it could mislead you. This was basically how the speech went. My professor friend, whom goes by Happy one (I love that!) - talked to our audience in Japanese as I tried to follow along as best as my abilities would allow me. From there - he would ask my input and I would try to respond as best as I could in Japanese. If I couldn't respond in Japanese - he, along with another British native, now a co-English professor would help translate for me.

Meghann came to support me and she was also brought up for discussion. After speaking, we turned the audience into an open discussion. The audience was free to ask Meghann & I questions they had involving foreigners or English discussion. Afterwards, we had tea and I made some new contacts which is always nice.

Katakana is a huge problem in teaching English. Since all the sounds in the Japanese language end in a vowel - aside from the one sound that represents the N in English - you often end up with words like PINKU instead of pink or SAKKA instead of soccer. It doesn't seem like a huge deal now, because the students are in Japan; however, if they are to travel and encounter people with little foreigner experience - their katakanized English will not be understood. I often want to settle with allowing Katakanized English be "okay" in my classroom - but the more I understand teaching, the lesser I am allowing it to fly in my classes. Likewise, it's very confusing for me to learn Katakana words because I just want to say the English word. I can never seem to get cappucino correct. I know I sound like an idiot when I just throw a word out there hoping it's the proper way of pronouncing it.

Of course, It can be a blessing, as my friend Dave says,
"foreigners wonder why their words are borrowed in a way that retains their separateness from real japanese via the katakana character set. i have to say, though, having been to hong kong i'm thankful for it: it's like having a cheat code for understanding menus and things - and in japan i'm willing to take all the understanding i can get."

And that is - Katakana-go.
Another professor of the college was there - and he showed us the University that is nearby. It was very enjoyable for me since I long so badly to be back in the fun setting of college. This particular professor teaches business - so it was really nostalgic for me to be back. He's spent quite some time in the USA - so he understands the challenges a foreigner faces in Japan. I quote him as saying "I'm a foreigner here myself." - meaning Japan.

The next evening we joined the International Association for a party. We had dinner and made ourselves more social within this group. It was a fun evening of conversation, people singing, and happiness all around. Certainly one of the nights where I am happy to be in Japan!

Oh, this speech was yet another way for me to be in the newspaper. Newspaper appearance #3.

2 comments:

ollie said...

sara
test
aunt alice

ollie said...

Sara,
Just a test to see if this will go thru.
Hope the melon is healing nicely.
Use cocoa butter to heal the scar.
AA